Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Purpose of this Blog

For years, my wife has suggested that I write a book related to my specialty fields as an educator or my most-favorite subject, the restoration of the Church and gospel of Jesus Christ in this the final dispensation or the Dispensation of the Fulness of Times. Her suggestions have been quickly brushed aside with one response or another the intent of which was “that will never happen.” The process of publication in that form is fraught with more obstacles than I am willing to face. However, it occurred to me, that this Blog format lends itself to accomplishing what she has suggested that I do for so long.


From my days as a youthful deacon in the Aaronic Priesthood to this present moment, I have been given a wealth of opportunities to serve in a vast variety of callings in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Most of these callings have allowed me to teach or preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. I have also had or have taken the opportunity to be taught by some of the great teachers of this gospel through either their personal instruction or their writings. Much of what I have learned, I wish to share. To do so is to add my testimony to the multitude of others who have expressed their convictions on these subjects in one fashion or another. You will understand that some experiences are too personal and/or too sacred to share in such a venue as this.


In the months ahead, it is intended that additions will be posted to this Blog. Such a format allows you to respond with your comments. This is encouraged. Please note that for the present, I have not made my identity known. For those of you who know who I am, that is sufficient. I would ask that your responses be respectful of my anonymity.


The name of this Blog, Pillar, comes from the notion of “being a pillar of strength.” In my adult years, I have sought to be a source of support for the building of the Kingdom of God upon this earth. This willingness to serve has made possible a series of Church callings whereby I have been given many varied opportunities for service. Each of these callings in turn has given me experience that has aided me in subsequent callings. For this I know, our success in any calling we receive is dependent upon our initiative to magnify that calling in conjunction with the inspiration that we receive from God as a result of our worthiness and desires as well as His will concerning us individually.


Hopefully, the material presented in this format will be helpful to some individuals who read it with the proper intent.


1 comment: